Anesthesia Administrative Rule Public Notice (ARSD 20:43:09)9/9/2021
The process below is not required as part of the statutorily defined rule promulgation process. However, as it has done historically, the Board incorporated the informal feedback process below to ensure ample opportunity for stakeholder feedback.
- The Anesthesia Credentials Committee (ACC) presented areas in ARSD 20:43:09 identified for update at the public Board of Dentistry meeting held on June 26, 2020.
- A draft of proposed updates to ARSD 20:43:09 was presented, section by section, at a public Board of Dentistry meeting held on October 23, 2020. Following that meeting, the process to solicit stakeholder feedback began.
- The goal of the informal feedback phase is to obtain feedback, identify areas of concern or consensus, and address areas of concern where possible. As part of the stakeholder feedback process:
- An online form to sign up to receive future notification was posted to the Board’s website.
- An online form to submit feedback was posted to the Board’s website.
- An outline of the process and all updated information was posted on the Board’s website to keep stakeholders informed.
- A meeting to listen to stakeholder comments was held on December 17, 2020. That meeting can be accessed here.
- A stakeholder meeting to outline the process moving forward was held on December 28, 2020 and can be accessed here.
- At its public Board of Dentistry meeting on January 8, 2021, the Board appointed a committee comprised of three Board members to further review the draft rules and work with stakeholders. The committee is comprised of a dentist that does not hold a sedation or anesthesia permit, a dentist that holds a general anesthesia and deep sedation permit, and a dentist that holds a moderate sedation permit and utilizes the services of a licensed anesthesia provider (LAP).
- The Board kept the public comment period open until January 29, 2021. After conclusion of the comment period, the Board appointed committee reviewed feedback that was received, and the draft rules were modified pursuant to that feedback.
- A second draft was released on May 7th. The Board solicited stakeholder feedback on the second draft and kept the public comment period open until June 1st. At the conclusion of the comment period, the Board appointed committee reviewed feedback that was received, and the draft rules were modified pursuant to that feedback.
- A third draft was released and presented at the June 18th public board meeting. Additional changes were incorporated at the meeting to address stakeholder feedback. The Board then moved to initiate the rule promulgation process.
The Board will now proceed with the formal rule promulgation process, as defined in statute. Below you will find the notice of public hearing and draft rules, along with resource documents. If you are not currently receiving email notifications and would like to receive future email notifications relative to this project, please submit your contact information here.
- Notice of Public Hearing
- Draft Rules with LRC Form & Style
- Summary of Rule Changes
- Inspection Summary
- Permit Summary
- Host Permit Course Information
The Board would like to thank the ACC, stakeholders and licensees for participating in this process.